View Vacancy -- Senior Communications Officer
Senior Communications Officer
About the role
Haringey has all the ingredients that make London one of the world’s great cities: diverse communities; exceptional education; a rich cultural offer; vibrant neighbourhoods; award-winning parks, and great transport links.
With major national, regional and local investment bringing an abundance of new opportunities to our residents, and an ambitious commitment to new homes and better neighbourhoods, there’s never been a more exciting time to be a part of the borough.
From schools and children’s services to street cleaning, and from libraries to adult social care, we deliver a huge range of services to more than 250,000 local residents and businesses.
We’re looking for a talented and successful communications professional to champion the borough, engage with our residents and stakeholders and help Haringey’s story reach a wider audience.
As part of our busy external communications team, you will play a key role in enhancing the reputation of the council and the borough; showcasing Haringey as a great place to live, work and invest.
You will be at the heart of our strategic communications planning, working with colleagues across the organisation and Cabinet Members to devise and implement effective campaigns and taking the lead on media handling.
You will have political nous, a keen eye for news and the confidence to tell our story to national media. You will contribute to our flagship residents’ magazine Haringey People and draft press releases, features and byline pieces for external publications.
With a background in journalism, PR or public affairs, you’ll have excellent copywriting, editing, campaigning and communication skills.
Closing Date: Sunday 20th May 2018
- A proven track record of successful external communications in a complex organisation and/or a strong background in news journalism.
- Demonstrable understanding and experience of external communications tenchiques, practices and current thinking.
- Demonstrable experience of finding positive solutions to complex communications challenges.
- Excellent written and spoken communications skills, including the ability to communicate complex information in an accessible way.
- Strong news sense and an understanding of risks and issues in relation to publicty.
- Political sensitivity and the ability to form productive working relationships with councillors, staff and partners at all levels.
- Experience of using social media to achieve communications objectives.
- Educated to degree level or equivalent in a related field.
- A team player and self-starter, with the confidence and ability to take ownership of work.
- Excellent copywriting skills and a high level of creativity.
- An understanding of how local government works and current issues and challenges facing it.
- A clear understanding of the law as it relates to publisity, incluidng the government's Code of Practice on Publicity.
- Ability to effectively represent an organisation's position to the media.
- Ability to use time effectively, operate to tight deadlines and manage under pressure.
- Ability to operate effectively in an environment of constant change.
- High level of interpersonal skills and the ability to forge strong working relationships.
- Willingness to work outside of normal office hours as required to meet the demands of the role.
- An understanding of the council's vision and values.
This opportunity is closed to applications.