View Vacancy -- Social Worker - Fostering Support Team
We are investing in creating a better borough for all our residents, and bettering the lives of children and young people in Haringey is our first corporate priority. We are located in the north of the capital with a population of approximately 250,000 people and a growing population of 0-19 year olds. We are a diverse and fast-changing borough and tomorrow’s leaders, artists and innovators are busy growing up here.
Haringey is transforming its services for children and young people, and have already made exciting, innovative changes as we strive for excellence in all we do.
In short, we’re a council with high ambitions; a place to work that is full of energy and focus. Our teams have passion, integrity and commitment, and people join us, do so as they see Haringey is a learning organisation, and the people that work here strive for continuous improvement in their practice, aiming high to ensure we provide outstanding outcomes for our children.
We offer a great place to develop a career that is yours to own.
About the Service
Haringey’s Fostering Service is committed to proving high quality care to Looked After Children and Young People and in doing so raise the profile of fostering to ensure all Looked After Children and Young People have positive experiences whilst living away from their birth families. The Service is responsible for the recruitment, assessment, training and support of all internally approved foster carers providing care to any Looked After Child or Young Person, including those who are ‘Connected Persons’.
The Fostering Service is committed to:
• Ensuring that the service exceeds the requirements of the Fostering Services Regulations, National Minimum Standards and best practice.
• Engage and empower all children and young people to have a more effective voice in making decisions about their own care and planning service developments.
• Ensure that children unable to return to their birth family have agreed permanency plans which give them appropriate legal security and are progressed on a timescale that is right for the child. By developing the use of Special Guardianship and rationalising the delivery of Long Term Fostering.
• Support IROs to review Care Plans at every Looked After Child Review and make certain the plan for permanence is addressed at the 2nd review with clear timescales for implementation of the permanence plan.
• Make sure that every child and young person is provided with information about the services to be provided and the independent support systems, through the Haringey’s Children’s Guide.
• Provide foster carers with supervision & support and learning & development opportunities which will enable them to promote positive outcomes in all areas of children and young people’s lives
• Employ skilled and competent social workers and ensure they make use of the council policies, procedures and systems effectively and equitably to increase the efficiency of the service so improving performance against agreed outcomes for children.
• Promote Haringey’s priorities for children and young people – as detailed in the Children and Young People’s Plan with a particular emphasis on promoting outcomes for children in care.
These are the qualities we believe to be necessary to do this job:
- Experience of working directly with children and young people and their families form a linguistically and culturally diverse community
- Experience of working in the Statutory, Voluntary or Independent sector
- Knowledge and experience of using a range of IT applications including Microsoft office and computer based social care record keeping systems.
Other Requirements / How to apply
This post is exempt from the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974. An enhanced disclosure check with the DBS will be undertaken.
Closing Date: Monday 30th September 2019
- Relevant Social Work qualification and active HCPC registration
- Evidence of post-qualification continuing professional development.
- Post qualification experience of 2 years minimum.
These positions are being offered on a 2.5 year secondment or fixed term contract opportunity.
If you are applying as a secondment, please ensure you have permission from your manager.
This opportunity is closed to applications.