View Vacancy -- Senior Pensions Officer (Subject Matter Expert)
Haringey Council has set clear ambitious objectives for creating sustainable growth, jobs and investment opportunities that will make Haringey a better place to live. As the shape of local government continues to change, Haringey's Pension’s team is committed to delivering a professional and supportive pensions service to all council employees and customers.
About the Role
We are looking for an experienced Senior Pensions Officer (Subject Matter Expert) to join our busy pensions team. This is a key role in the pension’s administration team, and you will be expected to have practical experience of helping manage a pensions team to produce high quality work. Reporting to the Pensions Manager, you will have shared responsibility for overseeing 4 team members.
This role will specifically support the manager to keep up to date with LGPS regulations and related legislation. Ensuring that the team are well briefed in any changes enabling the team to perform at the highest standard. As a subject expert you will assist in writing briefings and procedure documentation. You will also provide ongoing support and guidance to the team to uphold standards generally.
We are looking for someone who:
- Has experience in all aspects of Local Government Pension Schemes. You will be keen to keep up to date with changes in pension legislation and regulations and be able to evidence how you will approach doing so.
- Has excellent IT skills including proficiency in Altair, Excel, Outlook, and Word and be confident in using databases and scanning machines.
- Is highly organised, adaptable, able to accurately work to high standards under pressure and to deliver to tight deadlines.
- Is an excellent team player and be able to manage and support team members as well as maintain effective working relationships with employees at all levels from managers to frontline workers.
- Has proven ability of working proactively and will ideally have some supervision experience or be able to demonstrate the capacity to take on that responsibility.
- Possess excellent communication and interpersonal skills with a commitment to outstanding customer service and the confidence to deal with queries by telephone, in writing or by email.
If you feel the above suits your experience and skillset, then we would like to hear from you.
- Flexible working hours, 30 days + bank holidays, Excellent pension scheme, plus training opportunities.
Closing Date: Wednesday 30th September 2020
- 3 years local government pensions experience of which at least 1 year has been in supervising and training staff
- Experience of utilising information technology to improve service delivery
- A thorough knowledge of the Altair system including task management and Altair Image
- Thorough understanding of current issues, policies and developments at a local and national level that are relevant to the post.
- An ability to identify people performance weaknesses within the service and to establish and manager the necessary change to raise standards. Track record of service improvement
- Excellent mathematical skills.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to maintain a positive working relationship with senior managers and promote pensions services.
- Ability to interpret and apply pensions and related legislation and to write briefings and procedures.
- Ability to interpret and understand to a competent level the range of regulations, orders directives and guidance bearing on pensions provision affecting the Local Government Pension Schemes including an understanding of Conditions of Service
- A person with a thorough understanding of equalities who is wholly committed to consultation, involvement and equality of opportunity in both employment and service delivery.
- Maths and English to GCSE standard
3 years local government pensions experience of which at least 1 year has been in supervising and training staff
This opportunity is closed to applications.