View Vacancy -- Independent Person - Haringey Council Standards Committee
About the role
Are you interested in promoting high ethical standards in Haringey Council?
Haringey Council has a statutory duty to promote and maintain high standards of conduct for your elected councillors and co-opted members. We take this responsibility seriously and have a Code of Conduct which sets out the key obligations which must be observed.
If an allegation is made that a member or co-opted member has failed to comply with the Code of Conduct we want someone who views can be sought (either by the Council Standards Committee, Monitoring Officer or the member concerned) before a decision is made about what to do. This Independent Person position is a requirement created by the Localism Act 2011.
In addition, the Regulations in 2015 require an Independent Person to be involved in making recommendations to the Council where the Council is considering dismissing its key Statutory Officers.
We are looking for applicants who:
- Can offer the profile and experience which the community would recognise and respect as bringing an independent and informed perspective to the consideration of complaints about member conduct
- Are familiar with ethical questions and the development and interpretation of codes of conduct
- Have good analytical and interpersonal skills
- Experience of decision making skills involving sensitive issues
- Are objective, impartial and have a high level of integrity
- Are independent of any political party, both prior to the application and during your term, if successfully appointed.
- To ensure your voice is truly independent, the law rules you out for this role if you are currently a member, co-opted member or employee of Haringey Council, or you are a relative or close friend of such a person. The law also rules you out if you have been a member, co-opted member or employee of Haringey Council in the 5 years prior to any appointment.
The post carries an allowance of £1250 per annum for the primary appointment with £250 for any deputy appointed. The appointments will be for 2 years with a further option considered to extend the appointment for a further two years.
Closing date: 11th February 2020.
If you would like to have an informal discussion about this role, please contact Bernie Ryan, the Council's Assistant Director of Corporate Governance and Monitoring Officer of 020 8489 3974 or email: Bernie.Ryan@haringey.gov.uk.
An application form and information pack can be obtained on the Council's website at www.haringey.gov.uk or from Ayshe Simsek, Acting Democratic Services Manager on 020 8489 2929 or email:firstname.lastname@example.org.