View Vacancy -- Litter & Waste Enforcement Officer
About the Service
The Environment and Neighbourhoods service in Haringey is committed to delivering on the borough plan to keep our streets and public spaces litter free by dealing quickly with incidence of fly tipping and rubbish dumping. For this reason, we have created a new Litter and Waste Enforcement Team to work alongside our existing ASB Enforcement Teams.
About the role
This is an exciting opportunity to join our newly created Team. The post holder will be responsible for issuing Fixed Penalty Notices (FPNs) to offenders including those caught littering, dog fouling or incorrectly disposing of their waste. You will also be responsible for investigating fly tipping and businesses operating without a valid Trade Waste agreement. On occasions you will be required to undertake PACE interviews and attend court to give evidence. We are looking to build a strong team with a ‘Can do’ attitude where improving the environment is a key ambition.
You will be required to wear a uniform, patrol the borough on foot and will be expected to work a shift pattern, including some weekends, evenings and bank holidays.
Previous experience is desirable but not essential as full training will be given.
Reporting to the Team Leader Litter & Waste Enforcement you will be part of a team of 6 officers. We are looking for individuals with demonstrable knowledge and an understanding of relevant legislation and guidance relating to littering, fly tipping, enviro crime, and waste management and street cleansing. Other qualities you will need are:
- Self-motivation and enthusiasm
- A calm and assertive manner and an ability to deal professionally and diplomatically with people from all backgrounds.
- Resilience, as some interaction with members of the public can occasionally be confrontational.
- An ability to defuse hostile situations professionally.
- Attention to detail and good Organisational skills.
- Effective verbal and written communicators
Closing Date: Monday 30th March 2020
- Experience of working in a Enforcement related service
- Self-motivated and able to work with minimum supervision and priorities competing demands on your time.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and a confident communicator.
- Detailed Knowledge of Haringey’s Values and how they should translate into practice.
This opportunity is closed to applications.